Homemade Apple Brownies
Apple desserts, like these homemade brownies, are an all-American favorite.
Some people will say that this recipe for chunks of apples and chopped nuts baked in a spiced sweet batter are not brownies at all, since they are not chocolate.
However, the earliest brownie recipes appearing in old cookbooks from the late 1800s were not chocolate either, but rather variations of gingerbread!
I have a real love of apple desserts—apple cake, applesauce bars, apple pie, apple crisp, and Apple Bars/Brownies. Maybe, it's because they are so homey. Maybe it's because I grew up in Southington, CT, surrounded by apple orchards and home to an Annual Apple Harvest Festival.
These Homemade Apple Brownies are especially delicious when made in the fall with freshly picked tart apples and can easily be turned into a wonderful sundae topped with cinnamon ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce!
This recipe comes from an old Southington Apple Harvest Festival Cookbook from the 1970s.
These brownies really need to be completely cool before cutting or they will crumble! the apples make these brownies very moist and I think they taste better the day after they are made, after all the flavors have had a chance to come together.
Homemade Apple Brownies Recipe
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped apples (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Position one of the oven racks in the center and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray or for easy cleanup, line the pan with foil and spray the foil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon until blended and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until creamy and well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and beat with the mixer on low speed just until combined.
- Stir in the apples and nuts with a wooden spoon until distributed throughout the batter.
- Scrape batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack. Allow the apple brownies to cool in the pan.
- Cut brownies into desired size and shape.
This brownies recipe will make one 8-inch pan of Apple Brownies.
You Might Also Like:
- One Bowl Brownies
- Classic Oatmeal Brownies
- Heath Bits Blondie Recipe
- Chocolate Cake Like Brownies
- Peanut Butter Brownie Bites
Helpful Brownie Baking Supplies:
Back from Apple Brownies to Brownies Recipes