Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate chip cookies are a universal favorite.
Unfortunately, not everyone can enjoy traditional chocolate chip cookies, especially those with allergies to gluten and/or dairy.
These chocolate chip cookies are not only delicious -- they are low in sugar and dairy free.
And since they are made without flour, they are also gluten-free!
Almond butter replaces butter in this chocolate chip cookie recipe, so you benefit from all its protein and healthy goodness.
If you are a fan of dark chocolate, you are in luck. This recipe calls for 3 ounces of 70% dark chocolate. Of course, you can substitute whatever type of chocolate you prefer.
This healthier cookie recipe also uses Sucanat. What is Sucanat? It is non-refined cane juice which retains its molasses content and is generally accepted as a grainier substitute for brown sugar. Of all major sugars derived from sugar cane, Sucanat ranks the highest in nutritional value, containing a smaller proportion of sucrose than white sugar. While still not a health food, it is a healthier alternative to white sugar.
Did I mention that these chocolate chip cookies are easy? With just 6 ingredients they stir together quickly so you can be enjoying luscious, warm from the oven healthier chocolate chip cookies in 30 minutes or less!
Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
These instructions guide you to use parchment paper and/or silicone liners on your cookie sheets.
- 1 cup almond butter
- 3/4 cup Sucanat
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 ounces dark chocolate (at least 70%), broken into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone liners.
- In a medium bowl stir together the almond butter, Sucanat, egg, baking soda and salt until blended.
- Stir in the chocolate pieces until incorporated throughout the mixture.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of cookie dough onto lined cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches between cookies.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool for 15 more minutes.
This recipe makes about 24 Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Nutritional estimates per cookie: Calories: 110, Fat: 8g, Sat Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 10g, Fiber: 1g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 2g, Sodium: 55mg, Cholesterol: 10mg.
Source: This recipe for healthier almond butter cookies with chocolate chips comes from the March/April issue of Clean Eating Magazine.
You Might Also Like:
- Triple Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Ultimate Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Rocky Road Cookies
- M&M Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: