Almond Butter Cookies
These rich and delicate shaped almond cookies are perfect with a cup of tea!
Easy to assemble, the dough is first shaped into balls and then rolled in chopped almonds before baking.
And they get more almond flavor from the addition of almond paste while mixing up the dough.
Almond paste can be found in the baking section of most grocery stores or in your local specialty food store.
It also can easily be made at home.
To make about one cup, you will need:
- 1/2 pound blanched almonds (almonds with the skin removed)
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Simply grind the almonds in a blender or food processor. Mix in confectioners' sugar until well mixed. Beat egg whites slightly then stir into almond paste mixture. Stir in almond extract until well blended.
How to blanch almonds
How to make almond paste
Almond Butter Cookies Recipe
Prep and Bake Time: about 1 3/4 hours
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) almond paste
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on on medium speed, beat butter, almond paste and sugar until very smooth.
- Beat in eggs and almond extract until well blended.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually beat dry flour mixture into creamed mixture until well blended.
- Place finely chopped almonds into shallow dish.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and then roll in almonds to coat completely.
- Place balls about 2 inches apart on prepared sheets.
- Using the back of a lightly floured fork, slightly flatten each ball into 1 1/4-inch thick rounds.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove sheet from oven and transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
Makes about 80 Almond Butter Cookies.
How Odense Almond Paste is Made
You Might Also Like:
- Chocolate Chip Dalmatian Cookies
- Easy Snickerdoodles Recipe using Cake Mix
- Chinese Almond Cookies
- Mocha Almond Crackles
- Flourless Peanutty Chocolate Chip Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: