Easy Almond Meringue Bars
This is an easy-to-make homemade recipe for Almond Meringue Bars with only 8 ingredients.
You may never have prepared meringue before, but fear not because this recipe makes it super simple.
Some of you might even be asking, what the heck is meringue anyway?
Meringue is usually created by whipping egg whites with sugar until it forms into stiff peaks.
Some meringue recipes also add cream of tartar or a dash of vinegar or maybe even cornstarch to help hold it together.
Making these cookie bars is a great introduction to the diversity of meringue and we hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Almond Meringue Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup almond paste
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream the butter and almond paste until smooth.
- Beat in the 1 egg and 1/2 cup brown sugar until combined.
- Gradually beat in the flour and mix well.
- Press dough into bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and spread jam over baked crust.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Beat in remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar until stiff peaks are formed. (This is your meringue.)
- Fold in the coconut.
- Spread the meringue evenly over the jam layer.
- Bake 20 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool pan completely on a wire rack.
- Cut cooled cookie bars into desired size and shape.
This recipe makes about 4 dozen Almond Meringue Bars.
You Might Also Like:
- Raisin Ribbon Bars
- Magic Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Viennese Bars
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Easy Lemon Bars with Cake Mix
- Nana's Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Tools for the Cookie Bar Baker: