Amaretti Cookies - One of Our Best Italian Cookie Recipes!
Classic Amaretti Italian Cookies contain finely chopped almonds folded into sweetened, beaten egg whites.
Tasty Italian Almond Cookies are essentially almond meringues and one of our favorite Italian cookie recipes!
Although easy to make with only four ingredients - almonds, sugar, baking powder, and egg whites - Amaretti Cookies require a food processor, unless you have a source for finely chopped almonds, and an electric mixer to beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.
These simple Italian almond cookies can be shaped into balls with two spoons or scooped into balls with a medium size ice cream scoop, one of my favorite cookie baking utensils.
Remember, it's best to bake your cookies one baking sheet at a time, in the center of your oven.
And never, never, put cookie dough on warm cookie sheets or it will melt before it has a chance to bake.
This delicious recipe for Italian Almond Cookies is no exception!
Amaretti Cookies Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound whole almonds
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- Adjust oven racks so one is in the center of your oven. Preheat your oven to 350F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, nonstick foil, or silicone liners, to insure optimal results.
- In a large bowl, mix the confectioner's sugar and baking powder with a whisk until blended.
- In a food processor, finely chop almonds and then add them to the bowl with the sugar mixture and stir well to combine; set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir the egg whites into the almond mixture with a rubber spatula until well blended, being careful to not deflate the egg whites.
- Using 2 soupspoons shape the batter into 2-inch balls and place them on the prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. The cookies will spread while baking.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and firm when touched.
- Remove from the oven and place cookie sheets on wire racks. Allow the cookies to cool completely before removing from the parchment lined racks or they will break.
- Store your Italian almond cookies in an airtight container.
This recipe yields between 2 1/2 dozen Amaretti Cookies.
You Might Also Like:
- Orange Hazelnut Olive Oil Cookies
- Macadamia Butter Cookies
- Ricotta Cookies
- Lemon Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies:
Back from Amaretti Cookies to Drop Cookie Recipes