Black Magic Cookies
This recipe for Black Magic Cookies is truly unique.
Your taste buds will be jumping with the mixture of chocolate, molasses, rum and spices.
Did you know that molasses was first imported into the United States from the Caribbean Islands during the settling of the early colonists, probably the early 1700s?
Molasses is made by processing sugar cane or sugar beets into sugar through boiling.
Mild molasses comes from the first boiling, dark molasses from the second boiling and blackstrap molasses from the third and final boiling. Learn more about molasses and find some suitable substitutions.
One tablespoon of blackstrap molasses provides up to 20% of the daily requirement of calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron.
For best tasting black magic cookies, we recommend that you use unsulphured molasses, which means the molasses (and your cookies) will have a cleaner and more clarified taste because of the absence of the preservative, sulphur.
We like using Plantation "The Original" Blackstrap Molasses which is a highly refined molasses, when making the icing for these cookies.
As usual, feel free to substitute any high-quality dark molasses you prefer or have access to.
Black Magic Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, cut into 1-ounce pieces
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, cut into 1-ounce pieces
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- Combine the raisins and the rum in an airtight container and steep at room temperature for 6 hours, or overnight.
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper for best results. Alternatively lightly grease your cookie sheets.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, allspice, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Heat 1 inch of water in the bottom half of a double boiler over medium heat and place the chopped semisweet chocolate in the top half. Using a rubber spatula, stir the chocolate until completely melted and smooth, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Beat 1/2 pound butter and brown sugar on medium until soft and smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating on medium for 1 minute and scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the vanilla extract and continue beating for 1 minute.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat on low for 30 seconds just until incorporated.
- Stir in the rum infused raisins and mix well.
- With mixer on low, gradually add the sifted dry ingredients, and beat until well combined.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake, one cookie sheet at a time, about 10 to 12 minutes, remembering to rotating cookie sheets 180 degrees halway through baking time.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a minute on the baking sheet and then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Making the Blackstrap Icing
Place 6 ounces semisweet chocolate in a medium mixing bowl. Heat the heavy cream, 1/4 pound butter and molasses in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve the molasses, then bring to a boil. Pour the boiling cream mixture over the chocolate and set aside for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Keep the icing at room temperature for 1 hour before using.
- Ice the cookies by spooing about 1 tablespoon of the icing over the top of each cookie.
- Store cookies in an airtight container until ready to serve.
This recipe yields about 10 dozen Black Magic Cookies.
You Might Also Like:
- Amish Molasses Nut Cookies
- Gingerbread Biscotti
- Grandma's Soft Molasses Cookies
- Grandpa's Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Chewy Molasses Cookies
- Old-Fashioned Molasses Cookies
- Molasses Spice Cake Mix Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: