Brown Sugar Brownies
Brown sugar is really brown because of molasses.
There are many different types of brown sugar such as light brown, dark brown and Muscovado.
Each type of brown sugar contains a different amount of molasses from 3.5% molasses in light brown sugar to 6.5% molasses in dark brown sugar.
When you find a cookie or brownie recipe that calls for brown sugar, chances are it is calling for light brown sugar - you should only use dark brown sugar when specifically called out in the recipe.
If interested, you can make your own dark brown sugar at home by adding one tablespoon of molasses to one cup of granulated white sugar. If you need to make light brown sugar instead, you should add between one and two tablespoons of molasses per one cup of granulated white sugar. It's always best to add one tablespoon first, and if you need more, slowly add in the second tablespoon of molasses.
When wanting to incorporate your own homamade brown sugar into your favorite brownie recipe, you might find it easier to simply substitute molasses for an equal amount of white sugar while mixing your ingredients, and without making the brown sugar ahead of time.
Brown Sugar Brownies Recipe
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, light brown sugar, egg and vanilla extract with an electric mixer on medium, until smooth. Alternately, stir together until smooth with a large wooden spoon.
- Stir in the flour mixture and nuts until well blended.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenily and then place into the oven.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean or surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut brownies into desired size wedges.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
To Make Chocolate Brown Sugar Brownies:
- Stir 1 package (6 oz) semisweet chocolate into brownie batter along with the nuts.
- Bake in a lightly greased 13-by-9-inch pan for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
- Cut brownies into desired size and shape.
You Might Also Like:
- Coconut Pecan Caramel Brownies
- Smores Brownies
- Chocolate Cake Like Brownies
- One Bowl Brownies
- Fudgy Frosted Brownies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies:
Back from Brown Sugar Brownies to Brownies Recipes