Easy Cake Mix Sugar Cookies
Looking for a quick and easy rolled sugar cookies recipe?
Here it is - Sugar Cookies made with cake mix.
With just 5 ingredients these quick and easy Cake Mix Sugar Cookies stir together in a single bowl in minutes.
And this cake mix cookie dough doesn't require chilling before cutting and baking - perfect for when you are short on time.
This simple sugar cookies recipe is a great way to introduce beginning bakers to the process of making and baking cut out sugar cookies.
You are instructed to use a cloth covered surface and cloth covered rolling pin when rolling out this cake mix sugar cookies dough.
This helps you to roll out the cookies with a minimal amount of additional flour which helps to keep the cookies tender.
Some additional things to remember when baking your easy Cake Mix Sugar Cookies:
- Roll the dough to an even thickness so your cookies will cook at the same rate.
- Only place cookie dough on cool cookie sheets, spaced evenly apart.
- Line your sturdy cookie sheets with parchment paper for best results. Alternatively, use ungreased cookie sheets.
- Dust your cookie cutters with flour between cuttings.
- For best results bake the cookies one sheet at a time in the center of your oven.
Cake Mix Sugar Cookies
This sugar cookies recipe calls for yellow cake mix. Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow cake mix is my personal favorite!
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, almond, or lemon extract
- 1 egg
- White or colored granulated sugar, optional
- Make sure one of your oven racks is in the center of your oven and preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line sturdy baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl beat half of the dry cake mix, the shortening, the butter, vanilla, and egg with an electric mixer on medium high speed until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary to make sure everything is well blended.
- Stir in the remaining cake mix just until incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll each portion of dough 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured cloth-covered surface with a cloth-covered rolling pin, getting it as even as you can.
- Cut into desired shapes with your favorite cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 2-inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle with sugar if desired.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes, or until light golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet and then transfer them with a thin metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe makes about 5 dozen 2 to 2 1/2-inch sugar cookies - if you make bigger cookies, the number will be less.
This old-fashioned confectioner's sugar cookies recipe is adapted from the Betty Crocker Cookie Book
You Might Also Like:
- Carrot Cake Mix Cookies
- Easy Lemon Bars with Cake Mix
- Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe with Cake Mix
- M&M Cookies with Cake Mix
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: