Homemade Carrot Cake Cookies
An easy healthy cookie recipes favorite - Carrot Cake Bar Cookies made extra light and nutritious with zucchini.
Are you looking for healthy cookie recipes you can serve your family without guilt?
Ready for a sweet delicious way to serve carrots for dessert?
These Carrot Cake Bars are bound to entice your family into eating their veggies. The last time I made them they disappeared almost as fast as I could say "The homemade carrot-cake cookies are ready."
The recipe for these bar cookies is packed with nutritional goodness from carrots, zucchini, raisins, walnuts and whole grain flour. They are a deliciously simple cookie bar you can serve without guilt. The addition of zucchini makes them lighter than your typical carrot cake, which can tend to be heavy and dense.
Bar Cookies are the quickest and easiest way to make homemade carrot cake bars/cookies. Since all the cookies are baked in a single pan and then cut into the size and shape carrot cake cookies you desire, you save precious time not having to tend to multiple batches. That's probably why bar cookie recipes are so popular with today's busy home bakers.
Carrot Cake Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (3 medium)
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (1 medium)
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey, or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- For easiest removal and clean-up, line the pan with foil and then grease the foil with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour ginger and cinnamon.
- In another large bowl, stir together eggs, carrots, zucchini, sugar, raisins, walnuts, oil and honey (or syrup).
- Stir the carrot mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle cooled carrot cake bars/cookies with powdered sugar or spread with citrus cream cheese frosting.
Makes about 36 Carrot Cake Cookie Bars.
Citrus Cream Cheese Icing
The perfect way to top carrot cake bars/cookies
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or orange zest
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and lemon, or orange, juice until fluffy.
- Stir in lemon, or orange, zest.
Recipe adapted from The Ultimate Cookie Book (Better Homes & Gardens)
You Might Also Like:
- Carrot and Zucchini Bars
- Homemade Carrot Cake Cookies
- Pumpkin Carrot Swirl Bars
- Carrot Cake Mix Cookies
- Carrot Raisin Bran Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: