Spiced Chai Cake Mix Cookies
Quick and easy cake mix cookies with the unique flavors of spiced chai tea are a sweet and spicy fresh baked treat for spiced chai tea lovers.
Spiced chai tea, long favored on the Indian continent has increased in popularity here in the US over the past several years.
I sampled my first spiced chai latte at Starbucks several years ago and was immediately hooked.
I love the sweet, spicy, milky tea beverage so much and was excited to see the flavor combination showing up elsewhere - like in this easy chai cake mix cookie recipe.
One of the primary spices used to make chai is cardamom, a uniquely flavored spice used often in Indian cooking and Nordic baking.
If you don't have any on your spice rack, you will want to pick up a small tin or jar before baking these Spiced Chai Cake Mix Cookies, for the most authentic flavor.
To make your spiced chai cake mix cookies extra special drizzle them with vanilla icing once they have cooled.
Spiced Chai Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package of spice cake mix
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper for best results. (Alternatively lightly spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.)
- In a large bowl beat half the dry cake mix, melted butter, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and cardamom with an electric mixer on medium speed until well-blended and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining cake mix with a wooden spoon, just until combined.
- Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle the cookies with a few slivered almonds, pressing them in gently so they adhere to the top of the cookie dough.
- Bake for 9 to 13 minutes, or just until the edges are set but the centers are still soft when gently pressed with your fingertip.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cookies on the cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes and then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with vanilla icing, either homemade or canned. To use canned icing, place 1/2 cup in microwave safe bowl and heat 10 to 15 seconds or until frosting is thin enough to drizzle over the cookies.
Makes about 4 dozen Spiced Chai Cake Mix Cookies.
Homemade Vanilla Icing Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk, or enough to achieve desired consistency
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of milk until smooth and well blended.
- Continue to add milk a teaspoon at a time until the icing is of drizzling consistency.
Recipe adapted from Cake Mix Cookies by Camilla Saulsbury.
You Might Also Like:
- German Chocolate Cake Mix Brownies
- Carrot Cake Mix Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe with Cake Mix
- Applesauce Cake Mix Cookies
- Classic Cake Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: