Cherry Chip Cookies
Are you looking for a change of pace from chocolate chip cookies?
Consider this recipe for cherry chocolate chip cookies that takes standard Tollhouse chocolate chip cookie dough and gives it a boost with chopped maraschino cherries and the chocolate chips of your choice—semisweet chocolate or white morsels.
By mixing chopped maraschino cherries and vanilla or white chips into your cookie dough, you get delectable cherry vanilla chip Ccookies.
Choose semisweet chocolate chips and you end up with luscious cherry chocolate chip cookies.
You really can't go wrong with either cherry chip cookie recipe variation! Or you could split the difference and add half semisweet chips and half vanilla chips for the best of both worlds.
This cherry cookie recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract, which goes well with cherries. If you don't like almond flavoring or don't have it, you can substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Cherry Chip Cookies Recipe
For best results, line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Alternatively, you can use un-greased cookie sheets. Just be sure to let your cookie sheets cool completely between batches so your cookies don't melt before they bake!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semi sweet chocolate morsels, white morsels, or 1 cup of each
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained, blotted with a paper towel and coarsely chopped
- Position one of your oven's racks in the center of your oven and preheat to 375F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt until well combined; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugars, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary to make sure everything is well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and then scrape down the sides of the bowl again, if necessary.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture just until combined. (Overmixing at this stage can result in tough cookies.)
- Stir in the chocolate chips and cherries with a wooden spoon.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges of your cookies are light golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes then transfer cookies with a spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
- Be sure your cookies are completely cool before placing them in an airtight container for storage.
Makes about 4 1/2 dozen Cherry Chip Cookies.
Chip Cookie Recipe Variation:
- To turn your cookie dough into cherry chip cookie bars, grease a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan. Spread the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.
You Might Also Like:
- Triple Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Apricot Almond White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cherry Pistachio Cookies
- White Chocolate Chip Brandied Cranberry Cookie Recipe
- Holiday Ice Box Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: