Crispy Oat Drops
This easy cookie recipe offers a fun and flavorful twist on traditional oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
The results are pure decadence thanks to the additions of dried cherries and grated orange peel.
You'll get the heart-warming cinnamon taste you're familiar with in most popular oatmeal cookies, along with a little tart from the cherries, a little citrus from the orange and of course chocolate, without which these special treats would be incomplete!
Cherries are not only tasty, but they pack a nutritious punch too. Research suggests tart cherries may offer anti-inflammatory benefits, act as a general pain reliever, and help with overall heart health.
We've also enjoyed this recipe when substituting goji berries for the cherries.
Cherry Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups quick-cook oats
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or set aside ungreased sheets.
- In a small bowl, soak the dried cherries in hot water for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the shortening, butter, brown and white sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, orange peel and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Gradually add the dry oat mixture to the creamed mixture and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the cherries with the liquid and the chocolate chips until distributed throughout.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls at least 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool on sheets for 1 minute before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
This recipe makes about 3 1/2 dozen Cherry Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
You Might Also Like:
- Honey Oatmeal Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies
- Carrot Raisin Bran Cookies
- Grandma's Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Chunk Macadamia Nut Cookies
Tools For The Drop Cookie Baker