Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies
Recipes for banana cookies, like these delicious Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies, were much more common in old cookbooks than they are today.
I'm not sure why, but then again, I tend to like simple homey recipes best.
If you are like me and are drawn to old-fashioned cookies with common ingredients, you are gonna love these chocolate chip cookies.
They are soft, puffy, cake like cookies; not rich and chewy crispy cookies.
A great and easy cookie to make when you have overripe bananas staring back at you from the counter.
Why not whip up a batch the next time you have 2 or 3 really ripe bananas hanging around. Everyone loves cookies so they are a great alternative to the more expected loaf of banana bread.
For best results, it's best to bake cookies one baking sheet at a time in the center of your oven.
I also like to use a small cookie scoop when making drop cookies. It speeds up the process and produces cookies that are all nearly the same size. I think it's much easier than using two teaspoons, but they will certainly work. It's the way grandma would have made these yummy banana cookies.
Always remember to begin checking your cookies at the earliest stated baking time and watch them closely until they are done, since they can go from underdone to overdone very very quickly.
Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mashed really ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees. For best results line cookie sheets with silicone liners, or parchment paper. Alternatively, lightly spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray or lightly grease them with shortening.
- In a medium size bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until well blended and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, and mashed bananas, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary to make sure everything is well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture with the mixer on low speed or with a wooden spoon just until combined.
- Stir in the the chocolate chips.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake until no indentation remains when touched, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack with a spatula and allow to cool completely before storing.
This recipe yields about 4 dozen Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies.
Cake-Like Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Alternatively, lightly spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, banana and vanilla and mix well.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Slowly add the dry flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the the chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake about 9 to 11 minutes, or until edges are lightly brown.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.
This recipe yields about 36 Soft and Cake-Like Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies.
You Might Also Like:
- Chocolate M&M Cookies
- Peanut Butter Cranberry Drops
- Coconut Kisses
- Oatmeal Banana Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies with Macadamias and Coconut
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: