Chocolate Raisin Cookies
This is a fun and easy recipe for chocolate raisin cookies.
We usually think about adding raisins to oatmeal cookies but don't include them as often in our chocolate cookies.
I wonder why?
They taste great together!
Rasisins add a natural sweetness to baked treats and are a great tasting snack all by themselves.
Raisins are grapes that are picked and sun dried for anywhere from three to five weeks.
The exception to this is golden raisins which are not sun dried, but rather sent immediately for processing after being harvested.
They are usually dipped in hot water and treated with sulfur dioxide to retain the golden color and then dried in dehydrators.
Now that you know a little more about raisins than you ever cared to know, how about trying out this easy drop cookie recipe for chocolate raisin cookies!
Chocolate Raisin Cookies Recipe
High Altitude Recipe Tip:
Above 3,500 feet - decrease sugar to 1 1/4 cups and decrease brown sugar to 3/4 cup. Increase flour to 3 1/2 cups and bake as directed.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 drop red food color
- 2 drops yellow food color
- 2 to 4 teaspoons milk
Making the Chocolate Cookies
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs and blend well.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Stir in raisins.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until lightly set.
- Remove from oven and cool on pan for 1 minute.
- Removed cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, combine the frosting ingredients, adding enough milk for desired decorating consistency.
- Using decorating bag, decorating bottle, plastic bag or small spoon, make smiley faces on cookies.
This recipe makes about 5 dozen Chocolate Raisin Cookies.
You Might Also Like:
- Peanut Butter Cranberry Drops
- Glazed Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Recipe
- Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Quickie Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: