Quick and Easy Cocoa Almond Shorties
This is an easy recipe for Cocoa Almond Shorties - simple chocolate shortbread-like cookies.
Do you know where the term "shorties" comes from as it relates to cookies?
My research suggests that there is an older meaning of the word short that refers to a crumbly texture.
From this it's not hard to see how shortbread got its name.
Now, when you come across a cookie named "shorties" - like these cocoa almond shorties - you'll have a better idea that they're likely to be similar to shortbread in texture and probably crumbly in texture as a result of the ingredients.
These cookies also freeze well, so feel free to make them ahead if you are short on time.
Just be sure to remember to set them out and give them enough time to come up to room temperature before serving!
Easy Cocoa Almond Shorties Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups sliced almonds
- 1 pound unsalted butter, cut into 1-ounce pieces
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 level tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons dark crème de cacao
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Toast the sliced almonds until golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes in preheated oven.
- Finely chop nuts in food processor after cooling them to room temperature.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter pieces and sugar for about 2 minutes until soft.
- Scrape down sides of bowl as needed and continue beating on high for 3 minutes, until light (but not fluffy).
- Add 4 tablespoons cocoa powder and the dark crème de cacao and beat on medium for 30 seconds.
- Place mixer on low while adding the flour, toasted chopped almonds and salt and mix for 1 minute until incorporated.
- Shape dough into about 48 1-inch balls.
- Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Using the back of a fork, slightly flatten each ball into a disk that is about 1/2-inch thick, leaving an attractive cross-hatch pattern on the top of the cookie.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven and allow cookies to cool to room temperature on cookie sheet, about 20 minutes.
- Use a sifter to dust the tops of cookies with remaining unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Store cookies in airtight container.
Makes about 4 dozen Cocoa Almond Shorties.
You Might Also Like:
- Carrot Cake Mix Cookies
- German Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cake Mix Cookies
- Applesauce Cookies
- Chai Cake Mix Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies with Cake Mix
- M&M Cake Mix Cookies
- Spice Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Cookies
- Chili Powder and Pecan Crackles Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: