The dough is easy to mix with the help of a food processor and total prep time is only about 30 minutes.
These cookies taste best with a light texture, so be sure to not overmix the dough.
As you begin assembly, the dough should be slightly loose and crumbly when rolling into balls.
It's always easiest to use packaged shredded coconut - as this recipe calls for - but sometimes the pre-packaged coconut just tastes a little stale.
So, if you're a die-hard do-it-yourselfer and want to shred fresh coconut at home, we've gathered some helpful tips on shredding coconut.
It can be a lot of work, but if you're up for it you will be rewarded with the freshest and most flavorful coconut around!
Coconut Cookies Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes per sheet
- 1 package (14 ounces) sweetened shredded coconut (5 1/3 cups)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside
- On a plate, set aside 2 loosely packed cups of shredded coconut.
- In a food processor, place the remaining coconut along with the sugar, salt and baking powder. Process until finely ground.
- Add butter and continue processing just until no lumps remain.
- Add egg and vanilla and process just until smooth.
- Add flour and pulse until crumbly dough begins to form. Scrape sides of bowl as needed and be sure to not overmix - dough should remain loose and crumbly.
- Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and roll through reserved coconut until well coated.
- Place balls on prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Allow to cool on sheets for 1 to 2 minutes before transferring cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe yields about 36 dozen Coconut Cookies.
You Might Also Like:
- Coconut Kisses Cookies
- Easy Coconut Macaroon Cookies
- Chocolate Coconut Cookies
- Golden Macaroons
- Macadamia Coconut Lemon Bars
- Wheaties Coconut Cookies
- Chewy Coconut Macaroon Cookies
- Coconut Date Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies:
Back from Coconut Cookies to Spritz Cookie Recipes