Cranberry Orange Squares
This delicious recipe for cranberry orange squares is festive enough for the holidays and easy enough for everyday!
Cranberry orange bars/squares are one of our favorite quick easy cookie recipes that is even festive enough for the holidays, yet easy enough for everyday.
To me cranberries practically scream, "It's holiday time." We love to make these zesty cranberry and orange squares from Thanksgiving right through the winter.
Cranberries grow in bogs throughout the northern hemisphere and were first cultivated in Massachusetts back in the early 1800s. Native Americans used these jewel toned phyto-nutrient rich berries as medicines and natural preservatives.
Since the flavors of orange and cranberry are so perfectly matched, feel free to make this Cranberry Orange Square recipe any time of year.
Cranberries will last about two months in the refrigerator and up to one year in the freezer so this fall when cranberries are in season, grab an extra bag or two. That way you can enjoy these quick easy cranberry orange bar cookies whenever the mood strikes.
Cranberry Orange Squares Recipe
Feel free to use whatever kind of nuts you prefer for these cranberry and orange squares. We've used walnuts, macadamias, and pecans, all with great results.
Just make sure your nuts are fresh! Nothing will spoil a recipe faster than rancid nuts. We store all our nuts in the freezer to ensure maximum freshness.
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar, divided ( 3/4 cup and 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts, divided (1/2 cup and 1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped cranberries
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and 3/4 cup sugar.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 1/2 cup nuts.
- Press mixture into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- In the meantime, in a medium bowl, combine 1 1/4 cups sugar, eggs, organge juice, orange peel, and vanilla.
- Pour mixture over the hot crust.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup nuts, cranberries and flaked coconut.
- Bake for 30 more minutes or until golden.
- Cool slightly on a wire rack then cut into desired size and shape while still warm.
- Cool completely before storing.
These Orange Cranberry Squares can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Recipe adapted from The Ultimate Cookie Book (Better Homes & Gardens)
You Might Also Like:
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares
- Raspberry Squares
- Banana Nut Bars
- Peanut Brittle Bars
- Oatmeal Caramel Chocolate Chip Squares
- Pecan Bars
Helpful Baking Supplies: