Fairy Dust Cookies
Youngsters will be overjoyed when you ask for their help to decorate these fun Fairy Dust Cookies.
These cookies will sparkle like your favorite Christmas tree ornaments when decorated with colored sugar and crushed hard candies.
This easy cookie recipe is perfect for the holidays, birthday parties or any time you need an extra special decorated drop cookie.
They mix up in about 30 minutes and only require about 10 minutes in the oven.
They are topped with almond frosting and then decorated to you - and your kids' - heart's content.
Fairy Dust Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Almond Frosting
- Sanding sugar or crushed hard candy (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or set aside ungreased sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on medium to high speed, beat butter for 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar, granulated sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt and beat until well combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Beat in oil, eggs and almond extract just until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix until combined. Use a wooden spoon to stir in any remaining flour not incorporated by mixer.
- Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Gently flatten to about 1/4-inch thickness with bottom of a glass that has been dipped in granulated sugar.
- Sprinkle with plain or colored sanding sugar, or leave plain for frosting.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Remove cookies from sheets and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- If desired, frost cooled cookies with Almond Frosting and sprinkle with crushed hard candies or colored sugar.
In a small mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on medium to high speed, beat 1/2 cup butter until fluffy. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Alternately add 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons half-and-half, light cream, or milk, and continue beating until smooth. If necessary beat in up to 1 cup additional powdered sugar to achieve spreading consistency. If desired, stir in a few drops of food coloring to tint frosting. Makes about 2 cups.
This recipe yields about 84 Fairy Dust Cookies.
You Might Also Like:
- Lacy Oatmeal Florentines
- Coconut Date Cookies
- Cherry Almond Drops
- Butterscotch Potato Chip Cookies
- Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Tools For The Drop Cookie Baker