Frosted Cocoa Cookies
This is a quick and easy recipe that you are sure to love and be asked to make again and again.
After all, what's better than chocolate cookies with frosting?
These are spritz cookies, so they will take a little more time to prepare than it would to simply drop the dough onto the cookie sheets.
The chocolate frosting is infused with almond extract and this adds a nice flavor accent that works well with the cocoa.
All the ingredients mix together quickly and you can easily prepare the frosting while your cookies are baking.
If you love chocolate crinkles then you're sure to love these too since they have a similar texture and look, but without the powdered sugar coating.
Frosted Cocoa Cookies Recipe
Bake Time: about 13 to 16 minutes per sheet
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or use ungreased sheets; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Gradually add dry flour mixture to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 13 to 16 minutes or until set. Cookies should be puffy and beginning to crackle.
- Remove from oven and place cookies on wire racks to cool completely.
- Prepare the frosting:
In a small bowl, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and almond extract. Beat well while adding enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Drizzle frosting over cookies.
This recipe makes about 3 1/2 dozen Frosted Cocoa Cookies.
You Might Also Like:
- Peanut Butter and Jellies Cookies
- Simple Snickerdoodles Cookies Recipe
- Mocha Almond Crackles
- Quick and Easy Chocolate Snowballs
- Jam Thumbprint Cookies
- Peanut Butter Milk Dud Cookies
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Mix and Match Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- Brownie Crinkle Cookies
- Three Way Cookies
- Potato Chip Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: