Frosted Ginger Cookies
Frosted Ginger Cookies are a satisfyingly soft cookie with mellow spice flavors.
Molasses, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon meet up in perfect unison making this a favorite family cookie - perfect for any holiday celebration.
Ginger has proven health benefits as a digestive aid as well as providing pain relief with it's anti-inflamatory properties.
It is also known to help increase blood circulation, remove body toxins and act as a skin nourishment.
Learn more about the health benefits of ginger:
Ginger is sometimes used as a food preservative and in it's dried and powdered form is a main ingredient in recipes for common foods like gingerbread, ginger snap cookies and ginger ale.
Frosted Ginger Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup light or dark molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vanilla Butter Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on medium to high speed, beat sugar, shortening, egg, molasses and water until well combined.
- Beat in flour, ginger, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon thoroughly mixed.
- Cover dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or set aside ungreased sheets.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Immediately remove cookies from sheets and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Prepare Vanilla Butter Frosting:
In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup butter (softened) with 2 cups powdered sugar. Beat in 1 tablespoon milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until smooth and spreadable.
- Frosted cooled cookies with Vanilla Butter Frosting.
This recipe yields about 48 Frosted Ginger Cookies with Vanilla Butter Frosting.
You Might Also Like:
- Frosted Cranberry Orange Cookies
- Carrot Raisin Bran Cookies
- Glazed Lemon Drop Cookies
- Butter Jam Cookies
- Maple Frosted Raisin Cookies
Tools For The Drop Cookie Baker