Homemade Glazed Apple Squares
Are you looking for an easy alternative to baking applie pie?
This Glazed Apple Squares recipe may just be exactly what you are looking for.
Tart Granny Smith apples, cinnamon and almond glaze come together to delight your taste buds in these delicious homemade cookie bars.
You'll get the same great taste of apple pie in convenient bars or squares - which are much easier to share and pack for lunches and after school snacks.
Glazed Apple Squares Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks (reserve whites)
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (or more) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Set aside ungreased 13x9-inch glass baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients for the crust and cut in the shortening with a pastry blender.
- In a small bowl, beat together 2/3 cup milk and egg yolks.
- Add wet mixture into dry mixture and mix until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 equal halves and roll each half between waxed paper into a ractangle, about 9-inches x 13-inches.
- Press 1 dough rectangle into bottom of ungreased baking dish.
- Peel and slice apples. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and toss to coat.
- Pour apples over bottom layer and then cover apples with remaining half of dough. Press into corners and sides.
- Brush crust with egg whites.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden.
- Set pan on wire racks to cool completely.
- Prepare the glaze:
Combine powdered sugar with enough milk so it makes a thin glaze. Stir in almond extract.
- When pan is cooled, drizzle with almond glaze.
This recipe makes about 24 Glazed Apple Squares.
You Might Also Like:
- Fig Newton Bars
- Apple Brownies
- Lacy Oatmeal Florentines
- Applesauce Cookies
- Oatmeal Jam Bars
- Apple Bars
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: