Homemade and Healthy Oatmeal Cookies Recipes
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies may seem a bit redundant.
Of course oatmeal cookies are healthy - they contain oats - that delicious nutty whole grain loved by both kids and adults.
But these recipes for oatmeal cookies are even healthier than normal because they contain other healthy ingredients like honey, walnuts and tahini (sesame paste).
I have several delicious healthy cookie recipes for you in styles that vary from simple and crunchy to soft and exotic.
There's even a recipe for Weight Watcher's Cookies that are low in fat.
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Sweet, crunchy oatmeal cookies made with whole-wheat flour and vegetable oil. These are easy cookies too. Because they use oil, you can just stir them together without having to dig out your electric mixer.
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder, and salt with a large spoon or a whisk; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oil, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla with a whisk or large spoon.
- Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the oats and raisins.
- Using two tablespoons of dough per cookie, roll into balls and place on baking sheets spaced 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time in the center of the oven until lightly browned, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature, for up to 5 days.
This recipe makes about 1 1/2 dozen Healthy Oatmeal Cookies.
Tahini Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Delicious healthy cookies that are both flour and egg free and are made from only five ingredients. Tahini, a paste made from sesame seeds, is available in health food shops, speciality food shops and many grocery stores. These delicious healthy snacks both freeze well and travel well.
- 6 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 or 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly spray them with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the tahini and honey until well combined.
- Add the nuts, oats, and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls - spaced about 2 inches apart - onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
This recipe yields about 2 1/2 dozen Tahini Oatmeal Cookies.
Weight Watchers Healthy Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray 2 or 3 cookie sheets with non stick cooking spray or line them with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until well combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together shortening, applesauce, sugars, egg and vanilla until shortening breaks into pea-sized pieces and is distributed throughout the mixture.
- Add flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in rolled oats and raisins.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets spaced 2 inches apart.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time in the center of the oven until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on sheets for 5 minutes then transfer cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
This recipe yields about 3 dozen Weight Watchers Healthy Oatmeal Cookies.
Nutrition Facts (per cookie):
65 calories, 1 gram fat, trace saturated fat, 1 gram protein, 13 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 6 milligrams cholesterol, 63 milligrams sodium
You Might Also Like:
- Amaretti Cookies
- Fat Free Chocolate Brownies
- Healthy and Low Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Low Fat Brownies with Applesauce Recipe
- Low Fat Granola Bars
- Low Fat Pistachio Biscotti
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: