Frosted Italian Lemon Cookies
I had my first Italian Lemon Cookie years ago and was immediately hooked!
There are lots of wonderful Italian cookies out there, but when many people think of "Italian Cookies," they are often envisioning Aginetti, these light Frosted Lemon Cookies.
They show up at most major holiday celebrations and family gatherings.
You can frost them with white confectioner's sugar frosting or add a few drops of food coloring to give your cookie icing a pale tint.
You can sprinkle the frosting with colored sprinkles too if you like.
Frosted Italian Lemon Cookies Recipe
Yes, these Frosted Lemon Cookies call for a lot of baking powder!
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Lemon Confectioner's Icing (see recipe below)
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line 2 or 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Alternatively lightly grease your baking sheets with vegetable oil, shortening, or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs, milk, lemon extract, sugar, and oil with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure everything is well blended.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour and baking powder. Mix until just blended. The dough will be soft and sticky.
- Oil your hands. Shape heaping teaspoons of dough into balls with your hands. Place balls about 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time in the center of the oven until the tops of the cookies are firm, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Using a small metal spatula or knife, frost the tops of the cooled cookies with Lemon Confectioner's Icing. The frosting will drop down the sides and coat the cookies.
This recipe makes about 4 dozen Frosted Italian Lemon Cookies.
Lemon Confectioner's Icing Recipe
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/4 cup water
Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
You Might Also Like:
- More Homemade Lemon Cookies
- Limoncello Cheesecake Bars
- Lemon Pistacho Biscotti
- Lusciously Lemon Bars
- Macadamia Coconut Lemon Bars
- Lemon Snowbites
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: