Easy Key Lime Bars
Most people are more familiar with Key Lime Pie as opposed to bars or squares.
But this easy bar recipe can be prepared in about 15 minutes, needs to be baked for 35 minutes and chilled for a few hours - but the results are worth the wait.
Did you know that key lime pie was first mentioned sometime in the late 1800's in Key West, Florida?
The dessert uses small Key limes which can be found throughout the Florida Keys.
We think these easy key lime bars are a great alternative because they are much simpler to prepare and easier to share - especially at family gatherings, potlucks and cookouts.
No plates or forks required.
These lime bars can easily be turned into lemon bars if you prefer, by simply substituting lemon juice and lemon peel for the Key lime juice and lime peel.
Key Lime Bars Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 20 squares)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup Key lime juice (can substitute regular lime juice)
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- Additional lime peel for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9-inch baking pan with nonstick spray or lightly grease with shortening.
- In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar thoroughly with a fork.
- Press crumbs evenly into bottom of prepared pan and place in refrigerator while preparing lime cream cheese filling.
- In a medium mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the milk until smooth.
- Beat in lime juice and grated lime peel.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over graham cracker crumb mixture.
- Bake about 35 minutes, or until center is set.
- Remove from the oven and set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
- Cover pan loosely and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours.
- Cut bars into desired size and shape.
- Top with shaved lime peel before serving, if desired.
- Should store leftover bars in refrigerator.
This recipe makes about 36 Key Lime Bars.
You Might Also Like:
- Blueberry Muffin Mix Cheesecake Bars
- Apple Pie Squares
- Fig Newton Bars
- Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Cranberry Bars Recipe
- Buttery Lemon Squares
- Oatmeal Jam Bars
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies:
Back from Key Lime Bars to Recipes for Bar Cookies