Macadamia Butter Cookies - Delicious Butter-Free Cookies!
Are you on the lookout for Butter Free Cookies?
How do Macadamia Cookies that substitute homemade macadamia butter for regular butter sound?
I love these humble homee-style cookies that are probably best described as a less crumbly peanut butter cookie without the peanuts.
Macadamia Butter Cookies are a popular drop cookie at our house where one of my favorite cookie lovers has a serious peanut allergy.
Fortunately, macadamia nuts are a safe alternative for him, so my radar kicks in whenever I come into range of a cookie recipe calling for macadamia nuts.
Dried cranberries provide a slightly tart contrast to the richness of the macadamia nut butter. The dough is somewhat sticky; chilling it briefly makes handling easier.
The Macadamia Butter Cookies dough is shaped into balls, pressed in sugar, placed on prepared cookie sheets, pressed with a fork to flatten, and baked.
Macadamia Butter Cookies Recipe
This recipe requires a food processor to grind the macadamias into macadamia butter. A high powered blender such as the Vita-Mix would also do the job. You may also be able to find already prepared macadamia butter at your health food or specialty food store.
- 2/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg until well blended; set aside.
- Place nuts in a food processor and process until smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping sides of bowl once. Make sure it is really creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine macadamia butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Beat with a mixer at medium speed until creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat well.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture and beat at low speed just until combined (mixture will be very thick and a bit sticky).
- Stir in chopped cranberries.
- Chill dough 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Divide chilled dough into 30 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Place 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Lightly press each ball into sugar and place sugar side up, on prepared baking sheets, at least 2 inches apart.
- Dip a fork in water and gently press the top of each cookie with the back of the fork to form a crisscross pattern and flatten the cookies.
- Bake cookies, 1 baking sheet at a time, for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer cookies from the baking sheet to wire racks to cool.
This recipe yields about 30 Macadamia Butter Cookies.
Recipe Source: This macadamia butter cookies recipe is adapted from Cooking Light, October 2002.
More Cookies You Might Like:
- Chocolate Kiss Thumbprints
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Banana Cream Sandwich Cookies
- Hazelnut Cappuccino Crinkles
- Simple Snickerdoodles Cookies Recipe
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: