Malted Mocha Cookie Bars
With the combination of chocolate malted milk powder and the coffee or espresso powder, these frosted Malted Mocha Cookie Bars taste just like a coffee-spiked chocolate malt!
Whenever I hear the words 'malted milk,' I automatically think of Whoppers malted milk candy that I ate as a kid.
If you've never eaten Whoppers, they are small round malted milk balls covered in chocolate.
Whoppers were introduced in 1939 and were originally called Giants, but after the Overland Candy Company merged with the Chicago Biscuit Company in 1947, Giants were re-introduced in 1949 as Whoppers.
Today, Whoppers are made by the Hershey Company.
One thing I've always wondered is what is malted milk anyway?
As it turns out, malted milk is a powder made from malted barley, wheat flour and whole milk. These three ingredients are evaporated until a powder is formed.
Malted milk powder was originally created as a nutritional supplement for infants in the late 1800s but quickly found new and unexpected markets with world travelers and explorers because it was non-perishable and lightweight while providing nourishment.
A common ingredient, here are some common places you might find malted milk (other than these amazing Malted Mocha Bars):
- Nestlé Milo
- Malted milkshakes
- Malted milk biscuits
- Topping on some ice cream sundaes
- May be found in homemade bagels
Now that you know more than you ever thought you could know about malted milk, here's our easy cookie bar recipe.
Easy Malted Mocha Cookie Bars Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chocolate malted milk powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder or instant coffee crystals
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 recipe Mocha Icing
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan and set aside.
- For crust:
In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Beat or stir in the 1 1/4 cups flour. If necessary, gently knead to mix.
- Pat flour mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Bake crust about 15 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, stir together eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla. Stir in coconut, malted milk powder, 1/4 cup flour, espresso powder (or instant coffee crystals), baking powder and salt.
- Carefully spread cookie bar mixture over partially baked crust.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set.
- Cool pan completely on wire rack.
- Spread the cooled bars with Mocha Icing and cut into desired size and shape.
In a medium bowl whisk together 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1/4 cup malted milk powder, 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder or instant coffee crystals, 2 teaspoons vanilla, and 4 to 5 teaspoons boiling water. If necessary, beat in a little additional boiling water until icing reaches spreading consistency.
You Might Also Like:
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Banana Nut Bars
- Nana's Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Carrot and Zucchini Bars
- Fig Newton Bars
- Peanut Butter and Jam Bars
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: