Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
Mexican hot chocolate cookies may not be traditional Mexican cookies but that doesn't make them any less delicious.
Inspired by the flavors of authentic Mexican hot chocolate, these cookies are all around winners.
They are easy and delicious!
To make these Mexican cookies, you combine a package of sugar cookie mix with a tablet of Mexican style chocolate drink mix and a few other pantry staples.
The result is a mildly chocolate, spicy cookie that is both crispy and chewy.
If you are a fan of Mexican hot chocolate you are going to love these cookies.
Mexican chocolate is dark bitter chocolate that is combined with sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and sometimes, ground almonds and commonly used to make Mexican hot chocolate.
There are two brands of Mexican chocolate commonly available in the US - Ibarra and Abuelita.
If you can't find Mexican chocolate where you live, it is available online at the MexGrocer.com
Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 tablet of Mexican chocolate drink mix (usually about 3 ounces), chopped
- 1 package of Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix (17.5 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
- Position one of your oven racks in the middle of your oven and Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or alternatively use ungreased cookie sheets.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon until well combined and then set aside. (You will roll the balls of cookie dough in this before baking them.)
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and the chopped Mexican hot chocolate tablet over low heat, stirring constantly, then remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl stir together the dry cookie dough mix, butter/chocolate mixture, and egg with a wooden spoon until it comes together forming soft dough.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until they are well distributed throughout the cookie dough.
- Shape the cookie dough into 1-inch balls; roll them in the cinnamon sugar mixture and then place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or just until set - Do Not Overbake.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven and cool cookies on the sheet for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a covered container at room temperature.
This recipe makes about 4 dozen Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies.
This recipe for Mexican Cookies was adapted from Betty Crocker.
You Might Also Like:
- Chocolate Chip Kisses
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprints
- Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- Potato Chip Cookies
- Flourless Peanutty Chocolate Chip Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: