Mint Chocolate Shadows
Surprise everyone with these simple looking Peanut Butter Cookies which are loaded with the extra decadent flavor combination of chocolate and peppermint.
The chocolate and peppermint are marbled through these cookies, so your unsuspecting guests will probably recognize right off the bat that these aren't your average, run-of-the-mill cookies.
Did you know that peppermint extract is an essential oil?
This herbal extract from peppermint leaves is a common ingredient for baked goods, as well as a common dietary supplement.
You can trust that your bottle contains real peppermint oil if it is labeled as pure or natural.
There are many other products on the market that use a combination of different ingredients to try and create an oil with flavors that taste like peppermint and these are usually labeled as imitation or artifical.
When doing any baking, your results may vary based on the quality of ingredients used. That's why we always recommend starting off with the highest-quality ingredients possible.
Mint Chocolate Shadow Cookies Recipe
High Altitude Adjustment: (Above 5,200 feet) Decrease baking soda to 1/2 teaspoon.
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper, silicone liners or use ungreased sheets.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, stir the chocolate chips until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in peppermint extract; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the flour, baking soda, salt, granulated sugar, brown sugar, shortening, peanut butter and egg with an electric mixer on medium-low speed, until well blended.
- Stir in melted chocolate just until incorporated.
- Using rounded teaspoonfuls of dough, shape into balls and place on baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Slightly flatten each ball with bottom of a glass that has been lightly greased and dipped in granulated sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until firm and set.
- Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe makes about 42 Mint Chocolate Shadows.
You Might Also Like:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Thumbprint Cookies
- Fudge Filled Peanut Butter Cookies
- Coconut Macaroon Kiss Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: