Mocha Almond Crackles
These simple looking Mocha Almond Crackles are packed with the extra decadent flavor combination of chocolate, coffee and almond.
Covered in powdered sugar before baking, these soft chocolate cookies expand and the white coating begins to crack open, given them a crackled look.
The almonds used in this crackle cookie recipe are blanched.
All that means is that the almond skins have been removed.
You can easily blanch almonds at home by pouring boiling water over a bowl of almonds (with the skin intact) and letting them sit for 1 minute (but not longer).
Drain the almonds and rinse them under cold water and drain again.
Patting your almonds dry should allow the skins to easily slip away.
And if you're pressed for time, simply buy blanched almonds and you'll be that much closer to being able to taste your own homemade mocha almond crackle cookies.
Mocha Almond Crackles Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 6 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper, silicone liners or use ungreased sheets.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, stir butter and chocolate until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in coffee liqueur; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat granulated sugar and eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed, until combined.
- Stir in melted chocolate mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour and baking powder.
- Slowly add dry flour mixture to chocolate mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in finely ground almonds.
- Divide dough in half and cover each portion and refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until it is easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in powdered sugar and evenly coat.
- Place dough balls 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 13 minutes, or until firm and set.
- Remove from oven and transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe makes about 60 Mocha Almond Crackles.
You Might Also Like:
- Brownie Crinkle Cookies
- Fudge Filled Peanut Butter Cookies
- Coconut Macaroon Kiss Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Drops
- Orange Macadamia Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: