Outrageous Oreo Brownies
Outrageous Brownies are just as they're described—outrageously rich and decadent!
Do you like rich brownies?
Do you like Oreos?
Do you like the idea of combining them into over-the-top Outrageous Brownies?
Give these Outrageous Brownies with Oreos a go.
Sometimes it's possible to improve on the classics by combining them into something new and wonderful, yet comforting and familiar, all at the same time!
This recipe for Outrageous Brownies with Oreos is based on my favorite food network star, Ina Garten's recipe for Outrageous Brownies from the original The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. In her book, she gives credit for the original idea to the The Soho Charcuterie Cookbook and its recipe for Chocolate Globs.
Ina came up with the idea and recipe for adding chopped Oreos in a recipe that was published in "O" Magazine back in July 2003. Since then several variations of her outrageous Oreo crunch brownies have appeared on recipe sites and food blogs.
Have I mentioned that I love Ina Garten and all her Barefoot Contessa Cookbooks?
Ina's recipe makes a huge (12x18-inch pan) of outrageous Oreo brownies, so I divided the recipe in half which results in a more moderate amount of brownie batter that can be baked in a 9x13-inch pan. That's why some of the amounts look a bit strange - 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar.
Ina's recipe calls for melting the chocolates and butter in a double boiler, but I find I can do this more easily in a heavy bottomed saucepan placed directly over VERY LOW heat. The key is to watch closely, stir constantly, and remove the pan from the heat before the chocolate is totally melted. Continue to stir off heat and the chocolate will finish melting from residual heat left in the pan.
The recipe calls for 2 full cups of chopped Oreos but you can always use less.
Outrageous Oreo Brownies Recipe
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 2 cups chopped Oreos (16 to 20 cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees (180 C). Line a 13x9-inch metal pan with foil that extends beyond the pans edges on at least two sides and spray the foil with cooking spray.
- In a large heavy duty pan over very low heat, melt the butter, chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate, stirring constantly. Remove pan from the heat before the chocolate is fully melted and continue to stir until it is melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar.
- Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk 1/2 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl until it is well blended then add it to the cooled chocolate mixture.
- In a medium bowl toss the chopped Oreos with the remaining 2 tablespoon of flour. (This is supposed to help prevent the Oreos from sinking to the bottom of the pan.)
- Scrape the brownie batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted about 3 inches from the center comes out clean. Do not overbake!
- Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool, then cover the brownies and chill them in the refrigerator. Lift slab of brownies from the pan and cut into desired size and shape. (Since these Outrageous Oreo brownies are rich, I like them cut into small squares.)
Makes one 9x13-inch pan of Outrageous Oreo Brownies.
Recipe Source: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten
Easy Shortcut for Outrageous Brownies: Stir 1 to 2 cups chopped Oreo cookies into your favorite prepared box of brownie mix before baking.
More Brownie RecipesYou Might Like:
- Smores Brownies
- Rocky Road Brownies
- Turtle Brownies
- Oatmeal Brownies
- Cream Cheese Swirl Brownies
- Praline Brownies
Helpful Brownie Baking Supplies: