Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Are you a fan of simple homemade classics like peanut butter cookies or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?
Are you ready for delightfully different cookies that combine these flavors?
These peanut butter and jelly cookies do just that!
Classic peanut butter cookies are baked, cooled and then spread with your favorite jelly or jam, and sandwiched together.
These cookies are a real hit with peanut butter and jelly fans of all ages.
Be sure to give them a try - you won't regret it.
We think you'll love the combination of the crunchy peanut cookie and sweet, gooey jelly or jam filling.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies Recipe - Sandwich Style
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter (not all natural peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup your favorite jelly or jam
- Position a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper or nonstick foil for easy cleanup or leave them ungreased.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter, sugars and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until the mixture is very light and fluffy. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes. Stop the mixer once or twice to scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Beat in the egg until well blended and creamy and scrape down the bowl again.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed just until blended, about 10 to 20 seconds.
- Roll the dough into 1-1/4-inch balls. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Gently flatten each cookie with the back tines of a fork to make a crisscross pattern. Don't worry if the dough cracks slightly.
- Bake for 14 to 18 minutes or until slightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for a minute or two, before transferring them with a metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spoon jam on to one half of the cookies and top with remaining cookies.
This recipe makes about 15 Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies - Thumprint Style
Would you prefer your peanut butter and jelly combined in a thumbprint cookie? It's easy to do. Make the cookie dough as directed above.
You will need the following additional ingredients for rolling:
- 2 egg whites, beaten with a fork until frothy
- 1 1/2 cups peanuts, salted or unsalted, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees and line your cookie sheets with silicone mats, parchment paper or nonstick foil.
- Roll the dough into smaller 1-inch balls. Place the cookie balls in egg white to coat and then roll them in the finely chopped peanuts. Place the cookies 2 to 3 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Press your thumb, or index finger gently into the center of each cookie to create a hole, being careful not to go all the way through the cookie dough.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, just until lightly golden. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for a minute or two on the cookie sheet and then transfer them with a metal to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile heat the jam or jelly in a small saucepan, stirring over low heat until it comes to a boil. Use a small spoon to fill each thumbprint with hot jam. Allow the jam filled cookies to cool to room temperature.
This recipes makes about 48 small Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies.
Peanut Butter and Jellies Cookies Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening (or 1/2 cup each shortening and butter)
- 1 1/4 cups chunky peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- about 2/3 cup favorite jelly, stirred until smooth
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Grease 4 large cookie sheets and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat shortening, peanut butter, sugars and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat at medium speed 5 minutes, scraping bowl as necessary.
- Stir in flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Roll rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and arrange 1 1/2 inches apart on prepared cookie baking sheets.
- With the bottom of a glass, flatten balls to about 3/8-inch thickness.
- Use your thumb to make an indentation, almost to the baking sheet, in the center of each cookie.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and spoon about 1/2 teaspoon jelly into center indentation of warm cookies.
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature 1 week or freeze for longer storage.
This recipes makes about 6 dozen Peanut Butter and Jellies Cookies.
More Cookie Recipes You Might Like
- Pumpkin Spice Doodles
- Applesauce Cookies
- Pecan Cookies
- Banana Cookies
- Mocha Almond Crackles
- Carrot Cake Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: