Persimmon Recipes for Cookies make special treats that are best enjoyed in Autumn when fresh ripe persimmons come into season.
Persimmons must be fully ripe to be enjoyed and should be very soft—almost like an overripe tomato—before using.
Once ripe, you can puree them and then freeze or refrigerate the persimmon pulp, which can be added to a variety of desserts and baked goods!
This Recipe for Persimmon Cookies makes cookies that are really more like little cakes than traditional cookies.
They are soft and spicy and don't spread out on the cookie sheet during baking.
Many persimmon cookie recipes call for raisins, but this one specifies dried cranberries, which give them the look and taste of the Christmas holidays.
Persimmon Cookies Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups Hachiya persimmon pulp (2 to 3 persimmons)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease them.
- To make the persimmon puree, remove the stems and cut the fruit into chunks. Puree the chunks in a food processor until smooth.
- Measure out 1 1/4 cups of pulp.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add the orange zest, egg, vanilla, and persimmon pulp and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and mix just until combined.
- Stir in the walnuts and cranberries.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to insure all ingredients are well blended.
- Place rounded tablespoons of dough on the baking sheets spacing them an inch apart.
- Bake them for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cookies spring back when lightly pressed with your fingertip.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
This recipe makes about 3 dozen Persimmon Cookies.
More Cookie Recipes You Might Like
- Orange Date Bars
- Applesauce Cookies
- Banana Cookies
- Easy Lemon Bars with Cake Mix
- Carrot Cake Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies:
Back from Persimmon Cookies to Drop Cookie Recipes