Two of our favorite cookie treats - brownies and shortbread - come together in this delicious recipe for Shortbread Brownies.
Shortbread is a traditional and classic Scottish dessert made from sugar, butter and flour.
It was known to have been made as early as the 12th century and Mary Queen of Scots seems to have had a lot of input to its refinement and popularity.
It's not really clear where or when brownies made their first appearance on the dessert table - but they are considered to be originated in the U.S during the late 1800s.
Learn more about the history of brownies.
While there are lots of variations in popular brownie recipes today, this recipe creates a traditional chocolate chocolate brownie that sits atop a layer of shortbread to form a perfect match.
Shortbread Brownies Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup flour and brown sugar.
- Using a pastry dough blender, cut in the 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together granulated sugar, the remaining 3/4 cup flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add eggs, melted butter and vanilla and beat by hand until smooth.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly over partially-baked crust.
- Bake about 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set pan on wire rack to cool.
- Use foil to lift brownies out of pan.
- Cut into desired size and shape.
This recipe makes one 9x9-inch pan of Shortbread Brownies.
More Favorite Brownie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Brownie Bites
- Cheesecake-Topped Brownies
- Smores Brownies
- Hershey's Deep Dish Brownies
- Apple Brownies
- Outrageous Oreo Brownies
- Caramel Brownies
- Peppermint Pattie Brownies
- Cookie Dough Brownies
- Fudge Brownies
- Turtle Brownies
- Rocky Road Brownies
Helpful Tools for the Home Brownie Baker