The Best Soft Gingerbread Cookies
If you prefer your Gingerbread Cookies soft, this is the Gingerbread Cookie Recipe for you.
It makes soft, spicy, chewy cut out cookies that are perfect for traditional gingerbread men or any other favorite shape you like!
Try making Ginger Heart Cookies for Valentine's day or Ginger Pumpkin Cookies for Halloween or Thanksgiving.
If you prefer less spicy cookies, cut back on the amount of spices used.
Either way, you'll still have soft gingerbread cookies that are chewy and delicious.
Tips For Making Cookie Cutter Cookies:
- Be sure to chill the dough thoroughly.
- Rolling the dough between two sheets of waxed or parchment paper instead of on a floured surface can help avoid sticking. (Carefully remove the top sheet of paper before cutting out your cookies.)
- Roll the dough to an even thickness so your cookies will cook at the same rate.
- Be sure to use only cool cookie sheets to keep your cookies from spreading and losing their shapes.
- Dust your cookie cutters with flour between cuttings.
- For best results bake your cookie cutter cookies one sheet at a time in the center of your oven.
Soft Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices until well blended. (I like to use a wire whisk but a spoon will work too.)
- In another large bowl beat the egg and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Add the molasses and butter and beat well.
- Add the flour mixture and mix just until blended. (Overworking the dough will make tough cookies.)
- Form the dough into a disk shape, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, make sure one of your oven racks is in the center of your oven and preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Line your cookie sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper. Alternatively lightly grease the cookie sheets with shortening or cooking spray.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick, getting it as even as you can.
- Cut with a 2-inch gingerbread man cookie cutter or your favorite shaped cutter.
- Place cookies at least 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- When you have cut as many cookies as you can, lightly press the cookie dough scraps together, re-roll the dough and cut out additional cookies.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until they are slightly firm when you touch them lightly with your index finger. (You don't want to let the edges brown or over-bake them or they will be very hard.)
- When done, remove pan from the oven and immediately transfer the cookies with a spatula to wire racks to cool completely.
- I like these cookies plain, but you can ice the completely cooled cookies with your favorite cookie icing and decorate as desired.
This recipe makess about 4 dozen 2-inch Soft Gingerbread Cookies
Gingerbread Cookie Icing Recipe
In a medium bowl, stir together 2 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 2 tablespoons water or milk until smooth and spreadable.
To Make Colored Icing
More Cookie Recipes You Might Like
- Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
- Molasses Cookies
- Cake Mix Sugar Cookies
- Holiday Eggnog Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: