Easy Streusel Fruit Bars
If you're looking for a fruity bar cookie recipe, you'll definitely want to give these Streusel Fruit Bars a try!
Packed with dried fruit bits, fresh banana, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg, we love the natural goodness this tasty treat offers.
In case you were wondering, streusel is originally a German creation and is often used to refer to pastries that are topped with streusel.
Now you might be asking yourself, "What exactly is streusel anyway?"
When referring to baking, streusel is just a mixture of butter, flour and sugar and that forms a crumb topping and is usually found on pies, cakes, muffins and some breads.
And the same holds true for this fruity cookie bar recipe which is topped with a delicious crumb mixture of brown sugar, butter, rolled oats and whole wheat flour which forms the "streusel" crumb topping.
Streusel Fruit Bars Recipe
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 6-ounce package dried fruit bits
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 400F degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and rolled oats to sugar and butter mixture and beat on low speed until crumbly.
- Reserve 1 cup of mixture for topping.
- Spread remaining mixture evenly into the bottom of prepared baking pan.
- In medium saucepan, combine dried fruit bits and orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in chopped bananas, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
- Bake for 18 to 28 minutes or until light and golden brown.
- Remove pan rom oven and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut bars into desired size and shape.
This recipe makes one 13x9-inch pan of Streusel Fruit Bars.
More Cookie Bar Recipes You Might Like:
- Banana Bars
- Oatmeal Raisin Bars
- Raspberry Bars with Cake Mix
- Banana Cookies
- Pumpkin Bars
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cookies
- Orange Date Bars
Helpful Cookie Baking Supplies: