Toffee Walnut Triangles
Here's an easy bar cookie recipe for Toffee Walnut Triangles that is delicious.
But it's not your typical toffee that is hard and brittle.
Instead, the toffee in this recipe is soft and dense - a perfect base for these bars.
And you don't have to worry about cracking a tooth on hard toffee!
Usually you'll see almonds paired with toffee (as in Almond Roca), but again this recipe is unique in that it calls for toasted walnuts.
Did you know that a study from Penn State University in 2010 - and published by the Journal of the American College of Nutrition - suggested that consuming walnuts and walnut oil would improve our body's overall reaction to stress?
Not only that, but according to Joe Vinson, Ph.D., of the American Chemical Society who did the analysis, "Walnuts rank above peanuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios and other nuts," when it comes to providing heart-healthy antioxidants.
Toffee Walnut Triangles Recipe
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees.
- Toast walnuts on baking sheet in preheated oven for about 6 minutes. Cool nuts to room temperature.
- Process walnuts in food processor until finely chopped; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir butter and sugar until well blended.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in flour and salt and blend together until mixture is smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Spread the dough into 13x9-inch nonstick baking pan.
- Press mixture into corners and sides creating an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle chopped chocolate pieces over hot toffee layer. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Use cake spatula to spread melted chocolate in smooth and even layer.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts evenly over melted chocolate layer.
- Cool pan to room temperature for 30 minutes before cutting.
- Use serrated knife with rounded tip to cut bars into 24 2-inch squares, then cut each square in half diagonally to form triangles.
- To ensure clean cuts, heat knife blade under hot water and wipe dry before each cut.
- Serve immediately or store in tightly sealed airtight container.
This recipe makes 4 dozen 1-inch Toffee Walnut Triangle.
More Great Bar Cookie Recipes
- Apple Bars
- Chocolate Cherry Walnut Bars
- Blueberry Cheesecake Bars
- Chocolate Caramel Nut Bars
- Banana Bars
Helpful Bar Cookie Baking Supplies: